Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fathers Day - Memories of Dad



Memories of Dad

I would like to take a few special moments and turn my thoughts to my dad on this Fathers Day.

He dwells among the angels now and left way too soon.

I envy folks who have such vivid early childhood memories, although I do have one, I was very little and he use to take my down to the corner bar with him in Brooklyn, called John’s Tavren and give me quarters to play the games, and I use to drink yummy “Shirley Temples” with lots of cherries. I do remember going with him to the “old House” that is what we called it. I don’t think I ever said we were going to see grandma and grandpa – it was always going to the “old house!” Seeing that the house was erected appox. In 1650, it was the OLD house in Brooklyn!

Here we are out side John's Tavern in Brooklyn, he always carried this picture in his wallet



As years passed and young adulthood meet me, so did the forming of my “own” personality, and it was one that had a tendency to clash with dads. Let us just say that we did not agree on the way “I should live my life.” I was a bit of a rebel, and he very often fought me like a true combatant. Those years of my Iife were in true turmoil. I truly struggled with the “reasoning” and not “understanding” why my father hated me with such tenacity.

As my teens years left, and I presented dad with a new granddaughter, the man really changed once again, He became a wonderful grandfather, and a pretty nice dad too. He at one time had said to my mom, that helping raise is grand-daughter was sort of trying to make up for the things that were bad between us (so mom says).
Picture of dad, me and grand-daughter Regina
dad with his granddaughter Regina


Dad LOVED to bar-b-q, he would cook all summer long, well into the fall. Leg of lamb, roast beefs, hens, steaks, ribs, everything. Dad always planned the “opening season bar-b-q” which was held every Memorial Day and “closing season bar-b-q, held each Labor Day". The whole block would come out for it, lobsters, salads, steaks, corn-on-the-cob, potatoes thrown into the fire, lots of beer and cocktails. It was the street event!

And our boating. I can not begin to tell you how many fish I caught on our boats! Fluke, Flounder, Porky’s, Whiting, Blues, Mackerel, and occasional eel, and sand shark. We spent many hours fishing and clamming, and not an ounce of sun-block was ever used!
Here is dad in the Captains Seat

I took this after we got done closing the boat up for the winter and dry docking it


I remember the last time I spent with my dad, I had flown down to Florida to see mom and dad, my father wanted to take me to some pier in Clearwater to see the pelicans, who flock there in droves, or what ever you call a bunch of pelicans! These birds are of pretty good size too and in a large group they can be a wee bit intimidating! Dad handed me a container of small smelt like fish, word got quickly in bird squak terms, and the pelicans came from everywhere!! I was trying feed them but they were so overwhelming I was dropping the fish and they were biting my toes, jumping up on the railings behind me, trying to land on my arm, well finally I just threw all the fish off to the side and quickly dashed away from the pelican mob scene. I remember how hard dad was laughed at me. Dad died early the next year, and when I went down to Florida for the funeral mom handed me this pelican holding a fish in it’s mouth. Dad had seen it at a fair and got it to give to me, it reminded him of the day on the pier. It surly does not fit into my décor, but the pelican holds a special place on a shelf in my home. Here is a picture taken that day

Dad has been gone 26 years, he died young, and I miss the things he never got to share with his grandchildren, and I miss him too, he would have liked the woman I became, after those teenage years! So dad no matter what plane you may roam on, Happy Father’s Day dad!!

Here are some pictures I have of dad:


Here is my grand-father and dad

Dad with his grand-daughters all five


Dad doing the "Paco Dance" with his grand-daughter Maureen



HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL YOU DADS!!!!

3 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A lovely tribute to youyr dar Father....A Happy Fathers Day to all Daddy's everywhere....

My last 12 posts were about this wonderful trip I was able to take--40 years ago, and how I got to spemd three weeks with my father. In a way, it is my tribute to him, this Fathers Day.

VV said...

That's a nice tribute. I didn't meet my dad until I was 30 and we really didn't have the relationship we could have had.

Anonymous said...

That's great!