Thursday, July 30, 2009

Nautica NYC Triathlon

This past Sunday my daughter Regina was in the New York City Nautica Triathlon. She has been training so hard for the past five months for her first Tri. Working with “team in training” she has spent many hours, swimming, running and biking in preparation for the big race!! Sadly on Saturday she threw out her back doing of all things, unloading the dishwasher!!
Sunday morning came and she persevered and decided she was going to give a go, bad back or not, she had worked so long and hard for this race! Personally I am super impressed with her performance but, she knowing her pace while in training, was disappointed. May I also mention that she raised $4,410 for the e Leukemia & Lymphoma Society!! GO REGINA!!
So back to race day morning, she left her home at 4:45 AM, and walked a mile to the first part of the race. It was a mile swim in the Hudson River!! YES, you heard me correctly the HUDSON River!! Who in their right mind would swim in that river, yuck, not to mention what you may run into, like planes, dead mob bosses, and who knows what else!! Into the river she went at 6:30 for her one mike swim, it took her 26:09 minutes (I’m impressed!)
Ready to go!!!

Divers enter the Hudson

… Coming out of the river she did not look so charming … see the picture below … yes … algae all over … did I say YUCK!!

ICK! Running to next transition area ... in bare feet


Next she needed to run in her bare feet and wetsuit to the next transition area which was ¼ mile away, stripping off her wet suit as she ran! She quickly threw on her bike gear and headed out … for 26 mile bike ride, which she did it in 1:33, one hour and thirty three minutes (OK I am impressed again!!)


Looking like a pro!


She was not looking forward to end and how her back would feel once she had to stand again. Onto the Part Three, take off the bike gear, put on the running gear! The run was 6.2 miles up and down the hilly paths of Central Park. AND they are hilly!!! Her run was much slower then while she trained, but her back was killing her, she was in so much pain. She made the 6.2 miles in 1:07 time (I am still impressed, they would just be pulling me out of the river by now!!)
the lonely run ...


pain ...


Her full race was 3:17 … three hours and seventeen minutes!!! REGINA YOU ROCK!!!!! She did manage a big smile as she past the final banner!!


The medal!




Many of her friends and family were there to cheer her on! She also ran to honor a good friend of hers who has fought through two bouts of Hodgkin’s. Yea Rosa!!

Regina's biggest fan ... her son Rhys!!


Love the shirt!

I couldn’t be more proud of you Regina!!! So glad we were able to share in the day!! If you would like to read her blog about the race you can get there via this link …. Believe me it is an interesting site!! http://chiu-on-this.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful story of perseverance.

You must be so proud.

Patsy said...

She did well. I know she was disappointed, but considering her back..she should be proud of herself!

VV said...

That is amazing! Her time was great! I don't know what she's bummed about. Wow. She should be pleased.

tweetey30 said...

Congrats everyone.. I could never have done what she did but congrats anyway. I dont know how to swim in the first place.. LOL..

OldLady Of The Hills said...

WOW! I'm impressed, too! To be able to complete ALL those things while in pain---and no doubt creating more pain---I say BRAVA to Regina! I know you are so very proud of her!

Regina said...

thanks mom! Glad you and Dad were able to make it. I notice a striking similarity to many of the photos on my blog.....hmmmmm..lol.

sorry I didn't get here sooner, but I read it on my itouch and it isn't as easy to leave comments with that so had to wait until I got to it on a computer.