Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Birthday! Dec. 27th

Our trip to NYC was great, saw the grand baby, rode the good ole subway, and of course one must always experience a NYC cab ride into Times Square! I will post pics once I upload them.

BUT TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!! I always hated having my birthday so close to Christmas, combined presents Christmas/birthday gift, no cup cake school parties ... I always felt I got jipped but then I think of my sister-in-law, she was born Christmas eve.

This is the day they brought me home from the hospital ... mom and dad and my brother

I was born in good ole Brooklyn New York during a ragging snowstorm, mom said she was not sure she would make it to the hospital in time! This is my first birthday without mom, she passed away this year.






These are my grandparents
...and here I am!!





Birthday Cake History
History of Birthday Cake can be traced back to the ancient Greeks who made round or moon shaped honey cakes or bread and took it to the temple of Artemis -the Goddess of Moon. Some scholars, however, believe that the tradition of Birthday cake started in Germany in Middle Ages. Sweetened bread dough was given the shape of baby Jesus in swaddling cloth and was used to commemorate his birthday. This special birthday cake later reemerged in Germany as a Kinderfest or the birthday celebrations of a young child. Germans also baked another special kind of a cake called Geburtstagorten as it was baked in layers. This was sweeter that the coarse and bread like cake that were usually made at that time.

9 comments:

VV said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope it was a great one! I know how you feel about getting jipped with the school cupcakes, my birthday is July 2nd. Everyone was always away for a 4th of July vacation and hardly any kids around to have a birthday party. *sigh*

tshsmom said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
My b-day is the 18th, so I can identify with the Christmas baby jip.

I lost the bookmark for your blog when our computer got a worm, but I'm gradually finding everybody again.

I loved your Christmas posts! I learned a lot of stuff I didn't know.

craziequeen said...

Hi Maeve - nice to meet you :-)

BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

My birthday is the 4th November, so I get swallowed up between Halloween and Bonfire Night!

I have lots of re-enactment photos - you can find lots with narration on my blog over the last couple of years.
Also, if you are on Facebook, there are dozens on there.
And there is always our Company Website:
http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

I hope to see you again at the Palace - blogging can be such fun!

cq

David Edward said...

Congrats on beginning a fabulous new year with Tanya and the meet n greet folks. Happy birthday.
Cudos to the Germans for making birthday and birthday cake "official".
Many happy wishes to you and to NetChick who makes all things Bloggy better.

tweetey30 said...

Happy B-day and hope you enjoyed spending time with the grand kids..

Anonymous said...

May this year be far far more glorious than any of the previous. You've earned it after the last one, sweets.

Doo dee doo,
T

YellowRose said...

Happy be-lated birthday!! Hope you had a splendid day!!

Monogram Queen said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I am sorry I didn't make it by sooner!
I love your pics.
I am so sorry about the loss of your Mom.

Anonymous said...

Happy late birthday....reading past posts. I love seeing old photos, and loved reading about your family. So sorry you don't have your Mom with you in person....but you definitely are holding her spirit close.