Monday, December 29, 2008

Some Genealogy ~ Dec. 30th

Today I have been sitting here in my PJ's all day working on some of my geneaolgy (thank gosh for vacations!) Vacations can be nice, sip wine at night, sleeping-in in the morning, hanging out in your jammers all day if you want! YEA!!

So since I was doing some genealogy stuff I thought I would share some of my life with you.

I am of mostly of English and Irish descent, with a touch of French/German and a touch of Algonquain American Indian. Last year I went back to Ireland to trace some of my roots and was lucky enough to find more then I expected.


Here is GG grandma and grandpas house minus the thatched roof, it was actually in pretty good shape, the stones walls had recently been painted too. (Can you imagine living in this two room house with seven kids.)

My Great-Great Grandfather was Jeremiah (Darby) Leary b. 1830 d. 1905, he only spoke Gaelic (so the 1901 cesus shows) and settled in Mid-Ireland in the of County Tipperary, Ireland. He met and married Ellen Lewis b. 1834 d. 1920. They built their farm in ruarl Ireland near the Knockmealdown Mts. and they had seven children. I am sure they thought themselves and idyllic rural Irish family. Darby and Ellen had survived the great potato famine and must have had visions once again of a working farm, with their three strong sons to help, that is until their children decided to leave Ireland and go to America. My GG-Grandparents instead said good-by to five of their children, two sons and three daughters.

I can not even imagine the feeling of standing at the door of your home waving and watching five of your children leave. Hoping you will see then again but knowing in your heart you will not ever cross paths with your babies again.

So my G-GrandMother Margaret Leary ventured to the new world at only sixteen years old. Unbelieable rezliant woman. Here is GG Grandma's door.


Here is a view from that front door, the land has grown over but still beautiful
As the sun set, I had to leave the vacant farm and only wonder what their life was like in rural ireland.


My GG-Granparents (Peter's family) were from Northern Ireland, thier names were Owen Woods b. 1827 and Rose McNally b.1833, they were married in 1865 Roman Catholic Church of Keady, County Armagh, Ireland, they had two sons Patricks and Peter and a daughter Mary, who remained in Irland. Here is a picture of their old farmhouse.


Peter also left Ireland for America, I find his ships manifest as arriving in Boston May 27, 1889 and was naturalized in 1893. Here is his name on the manifest and the ship he sailed over from Ireland on:












So as the story goes Irish boy(Peter)meets Irish girl(Margaret)and live happliy ever after along with their twleve children.

This is their wedding photo which was taken from a Tin-Type so the quality is not very good. The lady standing is my G-Aunt Johanna Leary, the gentleman standing in a Leary cousin, bride and groom seated are Margaret Leary and Pater Woods.




....AND I AM LEFT TO TELL THEIR STORIES

2 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

I am just in awe you were able to find this info much less visit those places!
Outstanding!

VV said...

Cool history! Sometime you'll have to give me pointers. I traced my father's family coming from Ostra Hoby, Sweden around 1900. I never could find my mother's family history. They lived in the Owego area for generations. When I first started looking I hadn't a clue what I was doing, which is probably why I couldn't find anything. I probably ought to try again. My dad's family was easy (even though they changed their name upon arrival) because they came through Ellis Island. My mom's family has been here so long (supposedly) that there aren't any immigration records for them, so I've been led to believe. Someday when I have the time I suppose. Pat really ought to do this. *laughter*