Sunday, April 5, 2009

My Daughter's Blog

I want to do a little blog on one of the most amazing woman I know, my daughter Regina! At forty-one – soon to be forty two (I was ten when I had her- hahahaha) she decided she wants to run in the Danskin Sprint Triathlon in NYC. She has always been into sports since she was a wee child. Our years were fun filled with sports of all kinds, from standing on the sidelines (in sometimes bitter cold weather or sweltering heat) or sitting in the bleachers cheering her and her team-mates on. (here are some Old High School Team Pictures).


There was softball season to summer softball leagues, from basketball, to soccer, to indoor soccer, swimming, etc.!! She started about age 7 in elementary school playing T-ball, and played sports right into college. When she graduated from college and moved to NYC I thought wow, no more sports, what can you do in NYC. How wrong I was!! Then came bike riding in Central Park, and karate, (yes, she’s a black belt) and more soccer. So, as you can see she has been into some form of athletics her whole life.

OK, so now she has her mind set on doing this Sprint Triathlon thingy. So I figure I better read up on this a bit, then as a mom I begin to worry, is she working out to hard, is she eating right, will she fall and hurt herself. Just when I get all “settled in” on this Sprint Triathlon thingy race, she decides now she is not doing the Sprint race, (phew, I thought) …now instead she is has joined the NYC Triathlon Team In Training. This is an Olympic Distance triathlon, slightly longer in length. A TRIATHLON!!!

Hmmmmmmmm Triathlon, I have heard of them but only saw one on the “Biggest Loser” on TV a few seasons back and they all looked as though they were going to keel over and die. OK, a Triathlon … hmmmmm swimming, biking, running. Then I thought, where in the hell do all these folks swim in a Tri in NYC??? Surly there is no pool big enough even in NYC. Then it came to me, DON’T even tell me!!! NOT THE HUDSON!!! So after a few weeks of pestering her, the “jig” was finally up and she needed to spill the beans … Yes, Mom I will be swimming in the Hudson River!! HOLY CRAP was my first reaction!!! The freakin Hudson River, do you know there are bodies in there (I grew up hearing that all the mobs ditched their dead in there), and planes are know to land there also!!! UGH!!!

OK, I have settled myself now. I know this Tri is going to happen, swimming in the Hudson River, and then biking and then running. So I have resigned myself to the reality of it all, and have chosen to steal my grandson away for a few days prior to her race so she can rest up or train or do what ever you do before a triathlon. Oh yes, did I mention, she is also the mother of a three year old!!


So now that I have your attention I would like you to go over to her web site and cheer her one!! Leave her a note or better yet you can donate to her cause!! She is training to participate as a member of

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training.”

http://www.chiu-on-this.blogspot.com/

All of those on Team In Training are raising funds to help stop Leukemia, Lymphoma, Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma from taking more lives. She is also doing this in honor one of her dear friends Rosaria Usini, who has battled with Hodgkin’s disease twice in her young life.

Regina says, the people battling these disease are the real hero’s!! Regina and all the “Team in Training” need folks like us to help support them to cross the ultimate finish line – with a cure!!!
Regina you are my hero!!!! Love mom xoxo

3 comments:

Regina said...

Thanks Mom! One thing though, I am still doing the Danskin Triathlon in September, I did NOT drop out of that race. I only added the NYC Triathlon to my race schedule (thinking of adding another one or a 5k).

FYI: Sprint tri is a 1/4 mi swim, 12 mi bike & 3.1 mi run
Olympic tri is a 1 mi swim, 25 mi bike & 6.2 mi run.

The Hudson is actually much cleaner than it used to be and they are always checking water quality. There are lots of swim events in the Hudson. The bodies are dumped in
Brooklyn or Staten Island.

Nice pics, yikes

Monogram Queen said...

Hats off to her, this is not an easy undertaking i'm sure. I truly admire people who even desire to do this!

VV said...

Wow, that's awesome! Wish I still had the knees for running. I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through her.