Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Paczki Day today, Feb. 16, 2010

Since I am marriage to a Pole and mind you he is from the Old Country I thought it only fitting to celebrate today!! It is Paczki Day today, Feb. 16, 2010 - also known as Fastnacht Day and Fat Tuesday.

Paczki Day is a Polish tradition in which people use up lard, sugar and eggs in preparation for Lent, which begins the day after.

Paczki (pronounced POONCH-key), or pączek, is described by Dictionary.com as follows: "A round Polish pastry similar to a doughnut, usually filled with fruit and topped with sugar or icing."

Paczki Day is particularly popular in American cities with large Polish populations such as Chicago, Buffalo, and Detroit.

yummmmmmmmmmm

5 comments:

VV said...

I used to work for the Maciaks in Binghamton (Indoor World Acoustics). They were Polish and they would bring in these and potato cakes of some sort before/during Lent. It's been over 25 years, so my memory is sketchy on what and when. But I do remember these and the potato thingies. Yum.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to start the season, and what a way to please the sweet tooth.
Looks really yummy. Have you ever made these? can imagine them filled with cream cheese & topped with strawberry's Or cherries. yummy...Can you tell I'm hungry, trying to avoid the vending machines. p

Monogram Queen said...

My Mom, her sister and Mother used to make Doughnuts every Shrove Tuesday, Mmmmm I can still taste them.....

tweetey30 said...

they look yummie... I have never celebrated Lent And I always thought Lent was right before Easter... Or am I wrong.. Must be...

Patsy said...

YUMMY