Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St.Patrick's Day


Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig


Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all who wander upon this blog!! I give thanks to my Irish ancestors for enduring the hardships they went through so I may walk this planet! If you look to the right and see the picture of the door, it is the door my great grandmother walked through for 16 years, until she left her homeland to come to America. It is the same door my Great-Great grandmother walked through each day after seeing five of her children leave and come to America, never to see them again. How sad, I can only imagine the times she must of spent weeping for them. Today and each day I think of how lucky I must be to have had such strong Irish woman and men in my life, and can only read about what they endured. So today on this "High Holy Day" I will say a quiet prayer and say thanks ...

Great-Grandmother's two room humble home in County Tipperary, Ireland


The window she looked out upon with the dreams of a young woman, and the same window my GG-Grandmother looked out upon and wondered about her children in America



Hills as green as emeralds
Cover the countryside
Lakes as blue as sapphires-
And Ireland’s special pride
And rivers that shine like silver
Make Ireland look so fair-
But the friendliness of her people
Is the richest treasure there.



Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig

4 comments:

Patsy said...

Excellent. They came for a better life and we got it!
But don't forget great grandfather..Peter. His mother must have cried for her sons who left also.

VV said...

Beautiful poem. I'd love to see Ireland. I've always loved the music, people, stories, though I don't believe I have an ounce of Irish in me.

Regina said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

tweetey30 said...

thanks for the history lesson. i am not irish but i like learning about new things..