Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Each Mother's Day greets me with “Bitter-Sweet” memories. I am so lucky to have been given the chance to have three wonderful, talented, poised, young women in my life, that I call my daughters. The bitterness comes from the death of one of them.



At times I think I want to by pass this holiday, but how can you with the bombardment of ads on the radio, newspapers and TV, which seem to start about a month before. Suggestions of flowers, cards, dinner reservation, etc. Mother’s Day is the only holiday that specifically uses the word mother, so there is no real way of avoiding this day.

But for those who have lost a child Mother’s Day seems to once again open a wound in our hearts for the child no longer here. The absence of one of my children is a void I try to fill with memories – or a handmade card from long ago, a special photograph from happy times, but the memories can never replace the presence Jodi.


So I plan to do something that is right for me this day. In honor of Mother’s Day I will visit my daughter’s grave and plant some flowers, then take a quiet walk. Tonight I will talk with my two other daughters, who both live far from home, then await the day to end, until I have to do it all over again next year.

I know Mother’s Day is only one day, and with each passing new day, month, year, my heart is once again filled with the good memories of all three of my beautiful daughters! And my handsome grandson.

P.S.
Mom, I miss you too this Mother’s Day and hope what ever plane you roam on that your day will be filled with lots of yellow roses!!



I send warm Mother’s Day greetings to all of you this day. Here are a few favorite Mother’s Day quotes:

"Youth fades; love droops, the leaves of friendship fall; A mother's secret hope outlives them all." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

"Making the decision to have a child-it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." -Elizabeth Stone

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life." -Abraham Lincoln

6 comments:

VV said...

I can't imagine the depth of the pain. Thanks for letting us know Mother's Day is unique for each of us.

Regina said...

Happy Mother's Day Mom! I'm sorry we played phone tag today and missed one another. I hope you had a good day. Rhys sends greetings to his Grandma!

tweetey30 said...

I cant imagine the pain Mauve but Hope you had a wonderful day anyway with the planting of flowers and your walk.

T said...

... as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. The pain doesn't go away, though the face of it may change. I hope for more bright days than gray in your future.

Sunday I was walking the windy hills of Silver Lake, with the dirt from my sons' grave under my fingernails. Soon it will be warm enough to sip some wine and create some tunes up there. Maybe then I will feel some relief. This day didn't do it for me. Sunshine days will come, sure as rain.

Monogram Queen said...

I feel for you, I have only one and I savor my Mothers Day. Can't imagine it without her... or without my Mom either.

Just dropping in for a quick catch-up!

Anonymous said...

Hey, M you know that there is always going to be that spot, where Jodie is missing from. Someday, once again.
By the way Regina, great pic. of Rhys & the ice cream cone. Your mom shares new photo's, with us. And he's a real cutie.
p