Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Weekend In North Wildwood!


North Wildwood (NWW) was great ... nice to hang out on a weekend when it is not so Irish crazy ... or I should say until the sun sets~then every college kid in the world came out, I guess Memorial Day weekend is college kids gone wild days!! (go figure!)

Friday afternoon we got into town and I was sick as a dog. Joe was very good, wanted to get me chicken soup. Have no clue what hit me, but I was down and out. Sunburn scale 0.

Our Hotel ....


So Sat. morning I woke up and felt OK (?), played it safe for breakfast, then we went to Wildwood to the northeast's largest kite competition on the beach, I know you are saying kites (???) ... yes, exactly what I thought, the ole paper jobs on a string, wrapped around a stick .... NOT at all!! It was amazing!!! Went down and talked to the "kiters" who travel all over the states to do this (Joe and I want to take up "kiteing"), what a great bunch of people! (click on pictures to enlarge) The colors were amazing!

See the roller coaster on the beach behind the wind socks ...
sooo many neat kites ...

Look at the size compared to the truck

this wind sock was about 50' x75'

Love the angel fish!! And bears!


There were tons of crafters on the boardwalk (Tracy and Elaine your place to shop).

After we stopped at the Beach House for late lunch and a margarita! I think this place is a bit over rated in both price and view! The crab patty was "OK", as was Joe's meal, BUT we were on the water. That evening we hit AngleSea Pub, one of my favorites in NWW places. Bartenders are always fun, food is good, and the crowd is not college kids!! We met some great folks, and had some good laughs! We ended up planning to meet our new friends on Sat. night at a pub a wee bit outside of NWW. Sunburn scale was 7.

Sunday we slept in!! Had to with all the college ruckus in our hotel the night before!! So finding breakfast after 11:00 was a treat. After multiple stops at packed diners, and bagel shops out of bagels, we opted for a hotdog at Maui's Dog House ...

What a find ... I never knew you could make a "dog" so many ways ... and you were served in dog bowls!!

We stopped at Casey's another NWW haunt and watched a bit of the NY Yankee/Philly game, but we did not breath a word we were from NY or we may have be hung from the rafters. YES, you say, this is a NJ pub, but I am telling you Philly folks own that town!! So when the Yanks were winning we slipped out the back door to a BBQ at my friends home. My friend C had chocolate dipped and white vanilla/honey dipped strawberries on the porch (this is a gorgeous home), then a full bbq spread! Then we sat in the "pub room" in the house and watched the end of the game .... yup in the 11th inning Philly won! OK ... YEA PHILLY!!

About 5:30 we headed over to the Lighthouse Pub ... it is like the old Moores Inlet Pub, out side on the water, two huge bars, huge deck, great food, and a stage ... on which Patty's Well played from 6-10:30!! Our new friends met us and we chatted, listen to music and had a great time!! Sunburn scale 3.


Here is a picture of Patty's Well, a great Irish group!


There is nothing like a beautiful sunrise over the ocean!






Monday morning we worried about beach traffic leaving so we were on the road by 9:15! A fun weekend!

5 comments:

Patsy said...

Looks like a fun time!

Regina said...

Cool kites! Tom would have loved that! Oh, Rhys too!

VV said...

Oh nice. Great pictures, great weekend. Remind me sometime to show you pictures of the giant octopus kite I helped hold onto in Ocean City. It was as big as part of a football field, can't remember it's exact size right now, but it was easily the largest kite I'd ever seen in my life and nearly lifted all 10 of us hefty adults off the ground with it.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I have never seem such GORGEOUS Kites! So Colorful and Inventive and HUGE!!! It had to be awesome to see them flying around like that....
That Hot Dog place sounds great....I LOVE that they serve you in a Dog Bowl...lol!

FUN Weekend, exceot for that behinning sickly part....Glsd to read you got over that quickly, my dear!

none said...

Wow I've never seen anything like that. Very cool!