Thursday, January 29, 2009

Anniversary Wishes

Here is a picture of me and my hub-muffin back in the spring of 1968, we were only dating about 6 months, and got married in 1971. Today is our 38th anniversary!!

How did we achive 38 years!! Well this marriage is seldom a 50-50 proposition. It is often 90-10, or 30-70, and the larger number will not always be on your side. I guess I learned to live with that. A sense of humor is a necessity, as is a willingness to say "I am sorry" and show that you mean it.

My husband and I were fortunate to be the children of parents who also stayed married a long time and that certainly works in our favor. Compromise can also be the watchword for a successful relationship (marriage or otherwise).

Having common interests sure do help! Oddly enough I have mine, he has his, and we have ours!!

Do not let this lead you to thinking it was all a bed of roses. I can assure you it was anything but! We had hard times, slammed doors, shouting matches (which happen nowadays too) and there were periods when due either to his work travel or a shared intractability, we hardly spoke to each other.

But the initial vows we made were not forgotten, and we are still committed to each other and to our marriage. (At least today!!)

Sooooooooo Happy Anniversary J&M!!! Jan 29th!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Happy Anniversary! And WOW! Don't know many that hang in there these days.
Hugs & Kisses to both of you!

Monogram Queen said...

Happy Anniversary - i'm working on year 15. What an inspiration you are too us all! (and y'all were cute as pie too!)

Anonymous said...

Mar, Happy Anniversary, if had not already seen a photo of you in your younger day would never have picked you or J out of a crowd. But in that photo, I can really see Danny and Jodie in both of you. Hope all is well and you have a nice weekend.
P

tweetey30 said...

Happy Anniversary. You know my husband I have been together for 13 years in June but married for 3 in June. Hope you have a happy year and many more to come.

tshsmom said...

What a beautiful couple! Congratulations!
You guys are 6 yrs ahead of us, but I'm sure we'll catch up.

Your relationship sounds so much like ours, except L came from a totally dysfunctional family. He has been happy to learn what a real family is like over the past 32 yrs.

You're soooo right about the 90/10 and 70/30(only on the good days)! We wives are what holds our worlds together. Fortunately, my hubby realizes this and is grateful for me. He'd better be! *giggle*

VV said...

Wow! That's a commitment. Congratulations on your anniversary and for having the fortitude to see it through. You have a rare gift that you've worked hard for that many will never know.