Sunday, January 25, 2009

What Is A Bodhran! Jan.25th

(These are my drums)


The bodhrán (pronounced bow-ron) is an Irish frame drum ranging from 10" to 26" in diameter, with most drums measuring 14" to 18". The sides of the drum are 3½" to 8" deep. A goatskin head is tacked to one side (although nowadays, synthetic heads are sometimes used). The other side is open ended for one hand to be placed against the inside of the drum head to control the pitch and timbre (tone). One or two crossbars, sometimes removable, may be inside the frame. Some professional modern bodhráns integrate mechanical tuning systems similar to those used on drums found in drum kits. However mine are all non-tunable so I use water when the skin gets tight and dry air if it gets floppy!

There is evidence that during the Irish rebellion o 1603 the bodhrán was used by the Irish forces as a battle drum, or that the drum provided a cadence for the pipers and warriors to keep to, as well as to announce the arrival of the army. This leads some to think that the bodhrán was derived from an old Celtic war drum.

The drum is usually played in a seated position, held vertically on the player's thigh and supported by his or her upper body and arm (usually on the left side, for a right-handed player), with the hand placed on the inside of the skin where it is able to control the tension (and therefore the pitch and timbre) by applying varying amounts of pressure and also the amount of surface area being played, with the back of the hand against the crossbar, if present. The drum is struck with the other arm (usually the right) and is played either with the bare hand or with a lathe-turned piece of wood called a "bone", "tipper", "beater". Tippers were originally fashioned from a double-ended knuckle bone, but are now commonly made from ash, holly or hickory. I play my standing most of the time so I have a small strap to hold on my shoulder.


The bodhran player does take some abuse in jokes as does the piper! Here are a few Bodhran jokes:

What's the only proper way to play a bodhrán?
With an open penknife.

What do you call a groupie who hangs around annoying session musicians?
A bodhrán player.

What is the difference between a bodhrán player and a terrorist?
Terrorists have sympathisers.
What do you call a bodhrán player with a broken wrist?
A huge improvement.

See we get NO RESPECT!! But this year our local community college actually has a bodhran class and I have signed up just for grins and a few pointers! I love playing my drums!!


This is the knot on my big drum, I drew it and colored it in, but it has run a bit in use. This is a widely recognized Celtic knot has been used in for the past two centuries a sign of special things and persons that are threefold, such as Mother, Daughter and Grandmother - Past, Present and Future -and especially the Holy Trinity, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I put three dots to represent my three daughters, the red one is for my daughter who passed away. This drum is the largest and heaviest since the frame is much heavier.




This drum I purchase on my trip to Roundstone, Ireland in 1999, the frame is birch wood, very light and it was made by extremely talented makers at Malachy Kearns, a bodhran maker for over thirty years. his wife does the designs. The design on this is a wee bit worn from playing.


My last drum I purchased on impulse, it has a really neat Celtic design and is deeper then my other drums, but I hate the feel of the skin. So I seldom play it.


Here you can see all three stacked and get some idea how deep each one it.

Here a couple of links you can go to to hear and see bodhrans players. I tried to upload to blog but it did not work!! Great to hear and see how the bodhran is played!

The Corrs - Caroline enjoying a bodhran solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcAcZp6_ykY

AMAZING John Joe Kelly (gosh can he play)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ChbigufBC8

The Evergreen Band - Abe Doron's Bodhran Solo and duet with Gal Shahar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRLZYD4R8B4


So I hoped you like my 101 class on Bodhrans!

6 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

Very much enjoyed and I was right (for once!) hehe.......

Anonymous said...

Yes I did. You are a busy gal!

tshsmom said...

I LOVE Irish music, especially a well-played bodhran!
The wonderful thing about your drums is that they make beautiful decorations when not in use. ;)

tweetey30 said...

Those are so awsome.. Thanks for sharing. I love hearing bagpipe music. So does my husband. There is just something relaxing about it.

VV said...

Cool drums! So sad that the prettiest one is the one you seldom play. I love that Celtic design.

VV said...

Hey Tweets, I love bagpipe music too. I guess we're part of a rare crowd. Most people I know hate it and find the sound grating. We went to a wedding last Fall (both families were Irish) and they had a bagpipe playing for the opening of the wedding. I loved it!